Why do I need a licence?

How does the law apply to music licensing?

The Australian Copyright Act (1968) gives songwriters and composers, music publishers, record labels and recording artists the right to control how their music is used. So whenever music or a music video is played and/or performed live, made available online or copied, the business authorising that music use almost always requires a licence.

A OneMusic licence covers the rights of the songwriter, composer, music publisher, recording artist and record label who made and own the piece of music.

It is not just important for you to have permission from the copyright owners and pay for the right to use music for the benefit of your business but a legal requirement too. At OneMusic we’ve done the hard work for you so you do not have to contact the owners of each piece of music you play, broadcast, stream, download or copy. 

Our licences:

  • Provide a one-stop shop for the majority of the world’s repertoire of music.
  • Are designed to suit your business and conveniently packaged into industry specific schemes covering just the uses you need.
  • In our view are the easiest and most cost-effective way to access public performance, communication and reproduction rights to music, sound recordings and music videos.
  • Ensure songwriters, composers, music publishers, recording artists and record labels are paid fairly for their music.

Uses of music licensed by OneMusic include background music, live performances, recorded music to dance to, telephone on hold music, workplace music, karaoke, playing a radio or TV station, music on your website and much more. If music is a part of your business then you will need a licence. Most businesses will generally be covered by one simple licence agreement.

If you are interested in reading more on copyright from an independent source, visit the Australian Copyright Council website.